My List of Excuses to Not Work Out
Have you ever had one of those days where you spend a vast majority of your time coming up with excuses not to run or go to the gym? This is how it happens, one excuse turns into a week of excuses and before I know it, a whole month has passed and instead of suffering through those tough first few weeks, I'm still in square one. Sound familiar? But in my defense, some days are rough! It's a miracle that I make it out the door at all on the particularly soul crushing days when all I want to do is lay on a couch eating bonbons.
Whether it's a tough day at work, the holiday season, bad weather, or if you're just exhausted, sometimes the struggle is all too real. So how do we combat it? Well, let's start at the root of the problem, the excuses. Here are a list of excuses I've been known to use when I'm just not in the mood to workout...
1. I didn’t get enough sleep last night to workout.
2. I just ate some ice cream and I don’t want to get a stomach ache.
3. If I run I will get sweaty and have to shower which means I have to re-do my hair. (NO THANKS.)
4. I’m gonna skip squats and stuff because I don’t want to be sore for physical therapy tomorrow.
5. I have to be somewhere in 3 hours and there just isn’t enough time.
6. My favorite sports bra is dirty and I’m just not in the mood to work out without it.
7. That hot trainer is working and I feel like I look disgusting. What if we make eye contact?
8. I forgot my headphones/gym shoes/socks.
9. I had a really light lunch and I don’t want to pass out.
10. I ate really well today so I don’t have to go to the gym.
11. I feel bloated and/or gassy.
12. It’s raining/snowing/ really hot out and I just don’t want to deal with it.
13. The weather is perfect and I would rather do anything than go workout.
14. I am going to start working out again tomorrow.
15. I don’t want to be seen struggling on the machines next to really attractive people who make it look effortless.
16. I’m in a bad mood.
17. I feel a tiny tickle in my throat, I better take it easy.
18. I slept weird, I don’t want to aggravate my neck/back.
19. I have to run errands after work.
20. I was invited to get drinks/dinner with friends.
21. I will work out twice as hard tomorrow.
22. I just need a break.
Rule of thumb, if I find myself starting to make excuses, I stop whatever I'm doing and get out the door as quickly as possible. The only way I'll win is if I just do it. There are going to be terrible, awful days when you just don't want to workout. Sometimes it takes everything in you just to get 30 minutes in, but at the end of the day, even 30 minutes is better than nothing at all.
My advice is to work out first thing in the morning. Find the time to knock it out otherwise you probably won’t do it. And if you don’t do it, don’t beat yourself up! It’s not the end of the world! A tiny break never killed anyone. Just don’t let a week off turn into a year off. Remember, making getting active a part of your routine isn't going to be a cake walk. It takes patience, perseverance, and persistence. But it's worth it. Find the time and make it happen. No more excuses.
Until next time, #RunSelfieRepeat.